Sunday, September 25, 2005

Virginia,California, and Connections

After almost three months of being in California, some things really make us feel we belong here, and then at other times, I really miss Virginia. Of course, we know that the Lord brought us to the Sacramento area, but it is hard at times to be away from friends and family in Virginia. I know Virginia - I grew up there. My family is there. Our friends live there. We have two awesome Bible studies in the Northern Virginia area. We met and got married there. I know what to expect with the weather. We could arrange to meet friends for dinner or just hang out. However, Joshua and I always wished we could spend more time with his family. It would be great if California and Virginia were next to each other, but they are not!

But, California is where God wants us, and He has made that evident. Joshua has fellow believers at his middle school, and one of them, Kevin, is friends with my friends Kevin and Amy, who relocated to the Sacramento area a couple of years ago. Our good friend Janice is a hour away from us, and God could not have worked that out better than He did. We found a church in Sacramento, River City Grace Community Church, which has made us feel welcomed as well as being fed each Sunday with solid teaching and God honoring music. Through Kevin and his wife and Kevin and Amy, we have met other couples in their Bible study, and we keep finding out how small of a world we live in. There is a couple in the Bible study that knows Joshua's brother Karsten and his wife Kim from college, and from our church, we have met guys that know Kevin and Amy and Janice! We thank the Lord for providing Christian fellowship for us, and we know that from all of our connections out here, He is showing us that He cares.

Also, since we are close to Joshua's family, we can spend time with his parents, Grandma Steinmetz, and his siblings. Karsten, Kim, and our nephew KJ live nearby, and so do Julie, Russ, and Isaac. Both of the nephews are adorable (pictures will come soon), and it is great to be near Joshua's siblings and their spouses.

Overall, I know I will always love Virginia, but I also know that California is now my home.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you guys. Ryan and I feel much the same way here in Atlanta. We are now 4 months pregnant. We miss you guys. I'll keep reading, you keep writing.

joel

J said...

Hey there Carrie, Jesse here. Good to see ya join the blogosphere!

Anonymous said...

Hi carrie and josh!! whats up?hows mozart and harry doing? lol well i will talk to u soon! xoxoxo

Louisa

Amy K said...

"It would be great if California and Virginia were next to each other, but they are not!"

AMEN!!

So glad you guys have a blog now. :) And, for selfish reasons, it's been really nice to have you here in the Sacramento region.

-Amy

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! So glad you're blogging! Can't wait to see some pics. :)

Audra

Angel said...

Hi Carrie,

I understand SO well how you feel about the 3,000 mile separation from VA! :) It's been almost two years since I married my west-coast hubby but I still miss "home." Please drop me a line or visit our blog sometime; I'd love to hear from you.

--Angel (Potter) Thompson

Janice Phillips said...

So are you guys going to be the post once a week type? ;-) I'm sure at least Harrison will have something to say. Just kidding, you two. See you next week for dinner? Joshua, say yes.

Joshua and Carrie Briggs said...

Janice,

I'll be more faithful! I'll let you know about dinner.