Thursday, August 21, 2008

Life changing...

With November approaching ever so quickly, I've been reflecting on how life changes, we adapt and make choices based on the priorities in our collective lives.

Thinking back as a single man whether I was living in the Bay Area or on my own in Virginia, my life decisions really only impacted me most of the time. If I decided after work to spend 1.5 hrs in the gym working out, then I could without a problem. Thoughts of saving or spending money rarely crossed my mind as I had been raised in a conservative home that emphasized saving over spending.

Life changed when I met Carrie and I had to adapt. Now, my time wasn't my own anymore. I had someone else who valued my time. Decisions on working out, spending more now impacted more than just myself.

Now with November approaching and we are eagerly anticipating the arrival of Josiah Kenneth, I've reflected that yet again, life changes and we adapt. Now, rather than working out, I'm going to want to be heading home to play with my son and be a part of his life. Give Carrie a break though I have a strong feeling that she will love every minute with our son.

Priorities change and we adapt. Just something I've been reflecting about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, Son. As a single person, you enjoy a certain independence and yet you miss having someone special with whom to share you life. As a married man, you lose some of the independence yet gain so much by being married to the person God has chosen for you. Now, soon, you'll be a daddy and, once again, put some things behind you, yet gain another blessed dimension to your life. Life is mostly about addition rather than subtraction.

Love you,

Mom

Stacy said...

soon...you will hardly remember what you and Carrie thought was fun before Josiah!

Unknown said...

What's crazy is how fast you forget what it was like before you had a kid.

Stacy said...

lol...I guess we both feel the same way!