Monday, September 08, 2008

Due process...the great American gift...

Well, today I was able to celebrate a freedom others around the world can only dream about...jury duty! :) Several things struck me! First of all, we, the jurors, received a very informative history lesson from the Superior Court Judge in charge of juror summons. It was an excellent refresher for me! Interestingly enough, he believes that Russia's Putin has fashioned himself a Russian dictatorship. Amazing to me was the unprecedented gift we have to due process of the law...something that I know many take for granted...

Another thing that struck me today was the sheer depravity of mankind! As a believer from a strong Christian family, I haven't been subjected to this kind of depravity. When the judge asked the question, "Have you, a close relative or friend ever committed a crime?" I was personally shocked to not only see the hands raised but the answers many gave would have made Hollywood blush (possibly...well probably not). Then the judge asked "Have you, a close relative or friend ever had a crime committed against you?" and again I was shocked to see the hands raised and the answers given.

While sitting there hearing these personal accounts, I began praying and rejoicing silently how the Lord saw fit to place me in a Christian home where my parents both love and serve the Lord and imparted to my siblings and myself the same love and devotion to serve Him. When we have the Lord front and center in our lives, the depravity of mankind cannot enter in.

May the Lord bless His children and keep us continually seeking after Him!

No comments: