Sunday, January 28, 2007

Imperfect man, perfect God!

Over the last couple of months, our church in Sacramento has been going through a revision of it's Constitution and Bylaws which has provoked a great deal of delving into the Word by both Carrie and myself. I found myself talking to our former pastor and great friend of mine, Mike Nevarr from Virginia, and we were discussing some of the issues I have regarding the "revised Constitution/Bylaws" that is being considered by our congregation and elders.

With that being said, I have visited and attended many churches in my life and know that Carrie and I are truly blessed to have found a church where the church body and the elders, we believe, are trying to wholly follow the mandate "Sola scriptura". We do live in a world of imperfect men though we serve a perfect God.

May we continually pray for each other and those tasked to shepherd the flock! This task/responsibility is not to be taken lightly as they are held more accountable before the Lord which is why the qualifications for elders in I Timothy 3 and Titus are so stringent and are not to be taken lightly. May we not be like the Pharisees of old and take only the letter of the law but rather the spirit of the law and examine ourselves constantly in light of Scripture.

No comments: